ARNELL MEMORIAL HUMANE SOCIETY
BOOKKEEPER – TEMPORARY CONTRACTOR – PART-TIME Job Description
The Arnell Memorial Humane Society (AMHS), located in Amery, WI, provides shelter, comfort and care for stray, abandoned and surrendered pets. Our mission is to protect animals by providing shelter and education, encouraging pet adoptions promoting responsible pet guardianship and expanding the human-animal bond.
The Bookkeeper is guided by Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and works closely with the Executive Director to ensure that data is recorded accurately, appropriate accounting records are maintained, and that timely financial reports are produced to aid management in informed decision making.
This is a temporary position estimated to last approximately 6 months (although there may be an opportunity to convert this into an ongoing employment position). It is estimated that the Bookkeeper will be needed for approximately a half-day per week, with an extra hour or two at the end of each month.
The Bookkeeper’s responsibilities include the following:
• Maintain effective systems to record and report financial information.
• Record cash receipts, cash disbursements, accounts receivable, accounts payable and in-kind contributions.
• Post journal entries related to investment accounts, and for miscellaneous adjustments.
• Reconcile bank and credit card accounts.
• Enter budget information for comparative reporting.
• Monthly reconciliation/reimbursement of the petty cash fund.
• Produce monthly financial reports.
• Generate specialized financial reports that may be required for grant applications and/or grant reporting.
• Maintain a comprehensive and organized filing system for financial records.
• Work with the accountant and provide information for the annual report, tax return and other government reporting.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Expertise in financial management and accounting principles.
• At least 2 years of comprehensive bookkeeping experience required.
• Proficiency in the use of computers, particularly QuickBooks (or other accounting software), E-mail, the
Internet, MS Word and Excel spreadsheets.
• Detail-oriented with strong analytical and organizational and skills.
• Self-motivated and capable of working effectively with limited supervision.
• Solid verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive employee, customer and vendor information.
• Ability to be flexible, if unforeseen challenges present themselves.
Compensation: $20-$25/hour commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application: E-mail the following to Valerie Hogan, Treasurer (firstname.lastname@example.org), with a subject of
• Cover letter that briefly summarizes your experience.
• Three professional references with contact information.
Deadline: Open until filled.